Rule15-703. Qualifications for Licensure as a Licensed Paralegal Practitioner.
(a) Requirements of
(1) has paid the prescribed application fees;
(A) graduated with a First Professional Degree in law from an ApprovedLaw School; or
(B) graduated with an Associate?s Degree inparalegal studies from an Accredited School or Accredited Program; or
(C) graduated with a Bachelor?s Degree inparalegal studies from an Accredited School or Accredited Program; or
(D) graduated with a Master?s Degree in legalstudies or equivalent that is offered through an Approved Law School; or
(E) obtained either the Certified Paralegal (CP or CLA) credential fromthe National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA); the Professional Paralegal(PP) credential from the National Association of Legal Professionals (NALS); orthe Registered Paralegal (RP) credential from the National Federation ofParalegal Associations (NFPA).
(4) if the applicant does not have aFirst Professional Degree from an Approved Law School, the applicant must have1500 hours of Substantive Law-Related Experience within the last 3 years,including 500 hours of Substantive Law-Related Experience in temporaryseparation, divorce, parentage, cohabitant abuse, civil stalking, custody andsupport, and name change if the Applicant is to be licensed in that area, or100 hours of Substantive Law-Related Experience in forcible entry and detaineror debt collection if the Applicant is t be licensed in those areas.
(9) complieswith the provisions of Rule 15-716 concerning licensing and enrollment fees.
(b) If the Applicant has not graduated witha First Professional Degree in law from an approved law school, the Applicantmust:
(1) have takena specialized course of instruction approved by the Board in professionalethics for Licensed Paralegal Practitioners; and
(2) have takena specialized course of instruction approved by the Board in each specialtyarea in which the Applicant seeks to be licensed.
(c) An individual who has been disbarred orsuspended in any jurisdiction may not apply for licensure as a ParalegalPractitioner.
Effective:June 3, 2021