Finding Legal Help
You are not required to hire an attorney, but legal matters can be complicated. Consider talking to an attorney to go over your options. See the Finding Legal Help page for information about free and low cost ways to get legal help.
Como encontrar ayuda legal
Usted no está obligado a contratar un abogado, pero los asuntos legales pueden ser complicados. Considere la posibilidad de hablar con un abogado para hablar de sus opciones. Para información sobre cómo obtener ayuda legal vea nuestra página Como encontrar ayuda legal.
5th District Juvenile Court: Your Rights Under the Law
Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.
- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
You have the following rights:
- The Right to appear in person and to defend yourself with or without counsel.
- The Right to an Attorney: You have the right to an attorney at any stage of the court process. If you cannot afford one, then the Court can appoint one for you. To apply for a public defender, you must fill out a financial affidavit and submit it to the Court.
- The Right to receive a copy of the petition.
- The Right Against Self-Incrimination: You have the right to remain silent and anything you say can be used against you in the court proceedings.
- The Right to a speedy trial and for sufficient time and notice to prepare a defense.
- The Right to confront and cross examine witnesses.
- The Right to testify and to compel witnesses to attend the hearing on your behalf
- The Right to Appeal.
The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.